Top

Arson charges sought for boy

April 14, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

The Sturgis Police Department is seeking charges for arson against a 16-year-old boy.

The suspect confessed to setting fire to a house in the 100 block of East Congress Street on March 9.

Sgt. Amanda Coney said a joint investigation buy Sturgis police, fire and the state fire marshal during and following the incident contributed to pinpointing the suspect. Coney wished to thank the public for its number of tips passed along that led them to the teen.

Update – Mob attack

April 11, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

The fifth person arrested in connection with the mob beating of a Macomb County man on Detroits west side last week has now been charged. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy’s office is charging 19-year-old Latrez Cummings with assault with intent to murder and assault with intent to do great bodily harm. A 16-year-old is facing assault and ethnic intimidation charges. The teenager, whose name will not be released because of his age, is accused of beating 54-year-old Steven Utash with his fists and feet. Prosecutors say the teen will remain in custody and appear at the Wayne County Juvenile Detention Center on April 12. Worthy said there is not adequate evidence to convict the other four suspected assailants with racially motivated cimes. 17-year-old Bruce Wimbush, 30-year-old Wonzey Saffold and 24-year-old James Davis were arraigned earlier this week on the same charges as Cummings. All three were jailed on $500,000 bonds and are due back in court on April 21. Utash was driving home from his job as a tree trimmer April 2 when he struck an 11-year-old boy whod stepped out into the roadway. When Utash stopped to check on the child, he was attacked and severely beaten by a violent mob of 10 to 12 people. He remains hospitalized in critical condition in a medically induced coma with bleeding in several parts of his brain.  (MRN)

Sentenced – 120 years

April 11, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

A man who pleaded guilty to murder in the shooting deaths of a northern Indiana convenience store’s owner and an employee has been sentenced to 120 years in prison. Twenty-nine-year-old Kevin Moore of Elkhart was sentenced Thursday after pleading guilty mentally ill in January to two counts of murder in the September deaths of 55-year-old Jagtar Bhatti and 20-year-old Pawan Singh during a robbery at Saleh’s Market east of downtown Elkhart. Market employee Bill Sinclair described Pawan and Jagtar as generous people who often extended credit or gave food to customers who didn’t have enough money. Twenty-two-year-old Richard Gross of Elkhart pleaded guilty to two counts of murder in the market shootings and is scheduled to be sentenced May 1. He faces up to 130 years in prison.  (AP)

County officials request new units

April 11, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

St. Joseph County officials acknowledged a grant-application request from the sheriff’s department for preliminary-breath-test units.

During Thursday’s executive committee meeting, county administrator Pat Yoder said law enforcement agencies in the county use the PBT units to assist deputies with drivers suspected of being intoxicated or impaired.

Time and usage has resulted in a need for new units.

Committee members agreed to add the matter to Tuesday’s agenda for action by the commission.

The grant would cover the purchase of 42 devices, which are used by the sheriff’s department and distributed to police departments in each of the county’s eight municipalities.

Included in the grant are 28 bags of disposable mouth pieces; each bag contains 250 mouth pieces. Total amount of the purchase is $13,100.

Body has been identified

April 10, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Kalamazoo County Sheriff Richard Fuller confirmed at a press conference Wednesday morning that the body found in a northern Indiana lake last weekend is Teleka Patrick, the Kalamazoo doctor who had been missing since December. An autopsy, conducted Tuesday, positively identified the body as Patrick through fingerprints and dental records. The body was discovered Sunday by a fisherman in Lake Charles in Porter, Indiana not far from where the 30-year old Patrick’s car was found with a blown tire on I-94 December 5, the night of her disappearance. Police used sonar to search the lake on January 23, but found no evidence or clues in the search for the missing doctor. Investigators were planning to send a dive team to the lake after the ice melted. According to Fuller, Patrick was driving to St. Louis to meet an old friend the night of her disappearance disputing earlier reports that she was driving to Chicago. A private investigator hired by her family has said she was afraid someone was after her around the time of her disappearance. Authorities say the cause of Patrick’s death appears to be drowning, but they are still awaiting toxicology results.  (MRN)

Search for Kalamazoo man

April 8, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Authorities in southern Indiana are refining their search for a Michigan kayaker who remains missing after two days of searching. Indiana conservation officers said Monday they planned to focus search efforts a short distance downriver from where 27-year-old Enrique Quinonez of Kalamazoo, went under the surface of the Flatrock River at Columbus. Search efforts that were suspended Monday afternoon were due to resume Tuesday morning. Officer Jet Quillen says searchers have used multiple boats and sonar in searching for Quinonez. Quillen says continuous rain Monday hampered search efforts. Quillen says the man’s kayak capsized shortly after he and a friend launched their boats Sunday morning on the river about 40 miles south of Indianapolis. He says Quinonez  wasn’t wearing a life jacket and couldn’t swim.  (AP)

« Previous PageNext Page »

Bottom