Home » Government » Fire/Rescue (page 10)

Fire/Rescue

Six left homeless

A family of six was left homeless after their home was destroyed by fire over the weekend. Burr Oak firefighters were called to Spade Road, between Lafayette and Witt Lake roads, around 10:30 a.m. Sunday. The home and its contents were a complete loss. The family has four children, three boys ages 4, 9 and 10, and a girl, 6. ... Read More »

Renewed lease

The St. Joseph County Board of Commissioners has renewed a five-year lease agreement with 911/Central Dispatch. During last week’s commission meeting, commissioners approved the agreement for 911/Central Dispatch to continue using the 4,000-square-foot space at 620 E. Main St. The annual rent is $788. When St. Joseph County’s 911 was formed in the 1990s, it constructed its headquarters. The county ... Read More »

Roof collapses in Sturgis

One person was injured Thursday after a roof collapsed at Omni Source Corporation, at 2160 S. Centerville Road, in Sturgis. Sturgis fire crews responded at the scene and found a 100-by-200-foot section of the main building had collapsed. Two employees were in the building at the time, and both escaped. One suffered minor injuries. Gas and power were shut off ... Read More »

Factory fire in Elkhart

A state environmental official says initial tests haven’t found noxious chemicals in the air or water near a northern Indiana fiberglass factory that caught fire over the weekend. Firefighters continued monitoring the smoldering blaze at the Lami-Plast factory in Elkhart on Monday, a day after it went up in flames and some nearby homes were evacuated. A bulldozer was brought ... Read More »

Dogs rescued from fire

Rescue crews saved eight dogs including six puppies from a burning mobile home in southwestern Michigan. Kalamazoo Public Safety says officers responded Sunday night along with firefighters from Portage Public Safety and the Comstock Township Fire Department. When they arrived they found the fire burning in a front bedroom, with smoke filling the home. Officers rescued the dogs. Some of ... Read More »

Fire causes severe damage

A Fabius Township residence sustained severe damage during a fire Sunday afternoon. Fabius/Park Fire Chief Scott Roderick said the residence, in the 10000 block of Hoffman Road, was fully engulfed when fire personnel arrived. Potential cause of the fire is likely due to a wood-burning stove, Roderick said. There were no injuries as a result of the incident. Read More »