Top

Captain honored

February 28, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Three Rivers Fire Department Captain Jeff Bloomfield was recognized last week for his efforts in heading the annual Firefighters for Santa program.

Chief Dan Tomlinson and members of the city commission saluted Bloomfield, as he was presented with a specially designed fire hat that read “Chief Santa.” The presentation was a surprise to Bloomfield, whose wife, Holley, also surprised him by attending the brief ceremony.

Firefighters for Santa allows members of the Three Rivers force to collect and deliver food and clothes to Three Rivers families who have fallen on hard times.

The cause benefitted 91 families during the 2013 Christmas season.

Ruptured gas line

February 21, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

The Three Rivers Fire Department earlier this week responded to a report of a natural-gas break.

Department officials said they received a call shortly before 5 p.m. Monday regarding the smell of gas at 96 Fifth Ave. after a representative from SEMCO sought assistance.

The gas meter and electricity to the building was shut off, as its interior had a noticeably strong smell of natural gas.

After the gas reading had dropped to a safer level, firefighters entered the building and found a roof collapse had ruptured the natural-gas line.

Fire chief issues warning

February 20, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Three Rivers Fire Chief Dan Tomlinson has issued a special warning for people who own buildings with flat roofs.

The existing snow-load and the forecasted rainfall should be of immediate concern for residential, commercial and industrial buildings with flat roofs. The combined accumulation of these loads could exceed the structural stability of the roof system, and could result in a catastrophic collapse, Tomlinson said.

For every 5,000 square feet of roof area, one inch of water will add about 26,000 pounds of additional weight. Tomlinson said it is important that roof drains are clear and flowing to prevent the added accumulation of standing water on a flat roof.

The combination of snow-loads and accumulating water is an extremely dangerous situation, Tomlinson said.

Six left homeless

February 19, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

A family of six was left homeless after their home was destroyed by fire over the weekend.

Burr Oak firefighters were called to Spade Road, between Lafayette and Witt Lake roads, around 10:30 a.m. Sunday. The home and its contents were a complete loss.

The family has four children, three boys ages 4, 9 and 10, and a girl, 6. The family also lost two vehicles and a pet.

Cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but authorities said it likely started in the garage.

An effort to help the family is underway.

Drop-off locations for donations are at Mamma Mia’s in downtown Burr Oak, the McClain residence at 66498 Halfway Road, and Chuck’s Auto Sales on Fawn River Road, Sturgis.

Renewed lease

February 11, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

The St. Joseph County Board of Commissioners has renewed a five-year lease agreement with 911/Central Dispatch.

During last week’s commission meeting, commissioners approved the agreement for 911/Central Dispatch to continue using the 4,000-square-foot space at 620 E. Main St. The annual rent is $788.

When St. Joseph County’s 911 was formed in the 1990s, it constructed its headquarters. The county leases back the land.

Central dispatch is responsible for costs associated with heating and air conditioning, electricity, and water and sewer. Janitorial service and exterior maintenance are provided by jail trustees.

Roof collapses in Sturgis

February 7, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

One person was injured Thursday after a roof collapsed at Omni Source Corporation, at 2160 S. Centerville Road, in Sturgis.

Sturgis fire crews responded at the scene and found a 100-by-200-foot section of the main building had collapsed. Two employees were in the building at the time, and both escaped. One suffered minor injuries.

Gas and power were shut off to the building, and the rest of the structure was deemed unusable, according to Sturgis Fire Department.

Authorities did not provide details about the cause of the collapse.

« Previous PageNext Page »

Bottom