Top

Factory fire in Elkhart

February 4, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

A state environmental official says initial tests haven’t found noxious chemicals in the air or water near a northern Indiana fiberglass factory that caught fire over the weekend. Firefighters continued monitoring the smoldering blaze at the Lami-Plast factory in Elkhart on Monday, a day after it went up in flames and some nearby homes were evacuated. A bulldozer was brought in Monday to move metal trapping parts of the fire. Rich Hackel of the Indiana Department of Environmental Management tells The Elkhart Truth he was gathering information about what chemicals were used in the factory as monitoring of water runoff from the site continued. Osolo Township assistant fire chief Dean Rentfrow tells WNDU-TV that investigators couldn’t start work on determining what started the blaze until the fire was completely extinguished.  (AP)

Dogs rescued from fire

January 27, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Rescue crews saved eight dogs including six puppies from a burning mobile home in southwestern Michigan. Kalamazoo Public Safety says officers responded Sunday night along with firefighters from Portage Public Safety and the Comstock Township Fire Department. When they arrived they found the fire burning in a front bedroom, with smoke filling the home. Officers rescued the dogs. Some of the puppies appeared to have been suffering from smoke inhalation and were given oxygen by Comstock Township firefighters. Officials say the dogs are expected to recover. The residents of the home weren’t there at the time of the fire. Investigators say it appears that the dogs knocked over a lamp, starting the blaze.  (AP)

Fire causes severe damage

January 22, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

A Fabius Township residence sustained severe damage during a fire Sunday afternoon.

Fabius/Park Fire Chief Scott Roderick said the residence, in the 10000 block of Hoffman Road, was fully engulfed when fire personnel arrived.

Potential cause of the fire is likely due to a wood-burning stove, Roderick said.

There were no injuries as a result of the incident.

Multi-family residence destroyed by fire

January 16, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

A multi-family residence was destroyed by a fire last weekend in Sturgis.

The blaze started around 12:30 a.m. Saturday in the 500 block of West Congress Street, according to Sturgis Fire officials.

The occupants evacuated safely but the extent of damage was too great and has left the structure uninhabitable.

The Sturgis Fire Department received aid from three additional agencies, as Sturgis had a full team of firefighters on the scene of another house fire elsewhere in the city, where a 51-year-old woman died.

Sturgis woman dies in fire

January 12, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

A 51-year-old Sturgis woman died in a house fire Friday night. Sturgis Police identified the victim as Lori Miller, who resided at 1107 Merryview Drive. Officials responded to the blaze around 9:30 p.m. Friday. Investigators said the house was fully engulfed in flames upon their arrival. Her husband and mother managed to escape the residence, but they told fire personnel flames were too hot, preventing them from saving Miller. Despite their best efforts, firefighters were unable to rescue Miller. Members of the Michigan State Police Fire Investigation Unit said it appears careless use of a candle in a bedroom appears to be a factor in the blaze. The house was fully destroyed.

Make sure vents are unobstructed

January 8, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Three Rivers Fire Department Chief Dan Tomlinson said personnel responded to a carbon monoxide problem at a residence where furnace vents were blocked with snow.

In light of the recent issue, Tomlinson suggested residents to be sure snow is cleared from around their gas meters, venting and fresh-air intakes are unobstructed, and steps to clear snow from roofs be taken, as rain is in the end-of-week forecast.

The moisture will add considerable weight to an accumulation of snow, Tomlinson noted.

« Previous PageNext Page »

Bottom