Home » Government » Fire/Rescue (page 33)

Fire/Rescue

Three home fires Monday

Colon firefighters were called out to a house fire Monday afternoon on Willow Drive. One home was engulfed in flames, and strong winds sent flames to a neighboring home. Both houses sustained heavy damage. Firefighters were on scene for about 4 hours. The Colon Fire Department was assisted by Burr Oak, Leonidas, and Mendon. The Centreville Fire Department was dispatched ... Read More »

Fire Destroys House

Fire crews from White Pigeon and Constantine responded Friday afternoon to Mottville Township, where an abandoned house was on fire. The residence, on Riverside Drive, was already partially collapsed. A cause of the fire has yet to be determined, but fire officials said embers from a nearby burning leaf pile could have triggered the blaze. The structure was completely destroyed. Read More »

Phone Scam In Three Rivers

The Three Rivers Fire Department is cautioning residents that it has been made aware of a phone scam taking place throughout the city. Fire department officials said the illicit callers are going by the name Firefighters Charitable Foundation. Would-be victims are asked to provide credit card information to make a donation to the fictitious charity. The Three Rivers Fire Department ... Read More »

Man Saved From Fire

Three Rivers Fire Department firefighters pulled a man from a smoke-filled apartment over the weekend. Fire personnel responded to a report of activated smoke detectors and the smell of smoke at an apartment on Lockport Drive around 6 a.m. Sunday. After getting no response from the occupant of the apartment, firefighters forced their way into the smoke-filled residence and found ... Read More »

Diesel Fuel Clean Up

Emergency crews responded Wednesday afternoon to a diesel fuel spill on U.S. 131 in northern St. Joseph County. Sheriff’s Department personnel said a semi tractor-trailer was heading north when its driver’s side, front tire blew out. The force of the blown tire punctured the fuel tank, investigators said. Traffic was reduced to one lane while emergency personnel tended to the ... Read More »

House fire in Sturgis

The Sturgis Fire Department was called out to a house fire Monday morning on Griffith Street. The homeowner, Joyce Burg, was covered in black soot when firefighters arrived. She said she heard a loud “pop” near the microwave and found flames. She was taken to Sturgis Hospital for evaluation. The kitchen sustained heavy damage, and the entire structure sustained smoke, ... Read More »