Top

Man killed in six-vehicle accident

April 30, 2014 by Administrator · Comments Off 

A 56-year-old Kalamazoo man died Tuesday following a six-vehicle accident on U.S. 131 in Schoolcraft.

Richard Simmons died after the southbound car he was in was rear-ended at the north end of the village. The force of the collision pushed his vehicle into a power pole just south of West Lyons Street. The car was on fire as it crashed into the pole, which also became ablaze after it was struck.

Police said the pole snapped in half and rescue workers were unable to assist the victim due to live wires on the ground.

The incident occurred at 6:45 a.m. and the highway was closed for nearly five hours.

No injuries reported

April 29, 2014 by Administrator · Comments Off 

The Sturgis Fire Department responded to a fire at Cobalt Holdings early Monday.

According to a department media release, at 6:22 a.m., a water-flow alarm was reported from the building, located in the 1100 block of North Centerville Road.

Upon arrival, fire personnel noticed smoke emitting from the north side of the building. The fire is believed to have started by a machine igniting loose material.

Sprinkler activation kept the fire from spreading and the blaze was quickly extinguished.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Firefighters extinguish fire

April 4, 2014 by Administrator · Comments Off 

Sturgis firefighters were called to a home in the 300 block of South Fourth Street just after 7 p.m. Wednesday for a kitchen fire.

Fire personnel arrived to find the homeowner with a garden hose spraying water through the back door of the home. Fire crews entered the structure and extinguished the fire.

Officials said the house sustained considerable smoke and fire damage. The fire was caused by a pan of grease on the stove, authorities said.

No injuries were reported.

Lockport Township no permit required

April 3, 2014 by Administrator · Comments Off 

With the transition to fire protection coverage from the city of Three Rivers Fire Department, it will no longer be necessary for Lockport Township residents to call for a burn permit.

The action is not required because Lockport Township residents won’t be charged for a fire response.

Residents are reminded that open burning of household trash that contains plastic, rubber, foam, chemically treated wood, textiles, electronics, chemicals or hazardous materials is prohibited.

The burning of these household trash items poses a danger to human health and the environment Three Rivers fire officials said. The changes contain penalty provisions, which may be enforced by local units of government, should a local ordinance not exist.

Residents are also reminded to be responsible with open burning of leaves and brush. Fires should be supervised until extinguished, and weather conditions should be taken into consideration before starting an open burn.

Refrain from burning during dry conditions, and or high winds.

Fire Chief resigning

March 24, 2014 by Administrator · Comments Off 

Three Rivers Fire Chief Dan Tomlinson has announced he is resigning from the position later this summer.

In a prepared statement, Tomlinson said he will step down around Aug. 1, but a firm date will be set once a replacement has been hired and adequately trained.

Tomlinson, who has spent nearly 30 years in the industry, said philosophical differences over budget allocations played a role in his decision. Since August 2008, Tomlinson has stepped into a variety of roles besides his duties as chief. Those roles include EMS chief, chief emergency manager and chief of buildings and grounds.

Tomlinson said he has too much passion and vision for each of the responsibilities, and not enough resources or ancillary support to fulfill his expectations.

Fire departments battle blaze

March 24, 2014 by Administrator · Comments Off 

Crews from two departments spent Wednesday morning battling a fire at an apartment building at 121 N. Lincoln Ave. in Three Rivers.

The blaze was reported by a passer-by around 6:45 a.m. The site is just east of the BP gas station.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and fire on the first floor. The interior fire was brought under control quickly, but fire had spread into the attic and adjacent walls.

Occupants of the apartments were at work at the time of the fire. No injuries were reported, though the building sustained significant damage.

The barber shop had no damage. Cause of the fire had not been determined as of Friday.

« Previous PageNext Page »

Bottom