State police are investigating a hit-and-run incident during which a sign outside a Sturgis restaurant was damaged.
Troopers were called Monday morning to Hot ‘n’ Now on South Centerville Road after store employees found the drive-thru sign near the business entrance was destroyed.
Investigators said it appears a double-axle vehicle drove over the curb and onto the restaurant property.
The incident occurred between 11:30 p.m. Sunday and 6:45 a.m. Monday.
A Sturgis Hospital employee is spearheading a fundraising effort to benefit a rural Filipino community devastated by this month’s typhoon.
Noel Fontanilla, a native of the Philippines, is hoping his effort will help the village of Cangumbang. The community is where a pair of Sturgis High School graduates, Elsa Thomasma and Carter Brown was working on a community/evacuation center.
Fontanilla, whose wife works at Thurston Woods, said the Sturgis High School Student Senate is also planning a fundraiser to support rebuilding efforts in the Philippines.
More information about the effort to help rebuild Cangubang may be obtained from Fontanilla between 4 and 5 p.m. daily at 651-1793.
St. Joseph County United Way is joining #Giving Tuesday to inspire people to improve their communities by creating a better world.
Next week, #Giving Tuesday will leverage social media to create a national movement dedicated to giving, just as Black Friday and Cyber Monday have been positioned to be synonymous with holiday shopping, according to Kelly Hostetler, St. Joseph County United Way executive director.
#Giving Tuesday is an online giving campaign, which began last year with the collective power of its partners – nonprofits, businesses and individuals.
St. Joseph County United Way is asking donors, partners and volunteers in St. Joseph County to join #Giving Tuesday. Hostetler said participants can find a way to give back – by giving, advocating and volunteering.
A World War Two-era steam engine is back on track in central Michigan. The Argus-Press says a crowd cheered Wednesday night as the Pere Marquette 1225 steam locomotive’s whistle sounded to announce its arrival at the train yard in Owosso. The 200-ton steam engine was built in 1941 and retired 16 years later. It was donated to Michigan State University in 1957 and moved in 1983 to the former Ann Arbor Railroad steam locomotive shop in Owosso. Producers of the 2004 movie “The Polar Express” used its blueprints as the prototype for the film’s digital train, and recorded its sounds for use in the film. A $345,000 grant through the Michigan Department of Transportation in 2009 got the $900,000 refurbishing project started. (AP)
A chimney fire is being cited as the source of a blaze that destroyed a house in Mendon Township last week.
Investigators said the conclusion was made after a closer look into the situation and its origin. The fire, which was reported at 11:30 a.m. Friday, destroyed a residence in the 53500 block of Nottawa Road.
One occupant inside the house escaped without injury. No fire personnel were injured in the blaze.
The Sunday storms that swept across the Lower Peninsula Sunday have claimed at least two lives. A 21-year-old Ingham County man died when a tree fell while he was driving. Investigators say the tree either fell in front of, or onto his car in Ingham County. The victim, Ryan Ellen Rickman of Leslie, was driving northbound when the heavy winds caused a large tree to fall. He was the only one in the car and died on scene due to injuries from the crash. In Shiawassee County, sheriff’s deputies say 59-year-old Philip Daniel Smith of Perry was found dead and entangled in high voltage power wires after going outside late Sunday to investigate a noise. In the meantime, a teen in Detroit is in critical condition after touching power lines that were on the ground due to storms on Sunday. WXYZ-TV in Detroit reports that the victims friends say they were walking home after they were told school was canceled. The victim reached up and touched a downed power line, causing his injury. He is reportedly in critical condition at a local hospital. (MRN)