Top

Sturgis student charged with arson

April 7, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

A 15-year-old student has been charged with arson following an incident last week at Sturgis High School.

According to Sturgis police, a paper-towel dispenser was intentionally set on fire in a bathroom shortly before 1:30 p.m. Friday. Fire crews arrived to find a moderate amount of smoke but no fire.

With the aid of school-security video, district officials and law-enforcement personnel were able to determine the suspected culprit. He was detained for arson and lodged by juvenile court.

Students were kept in their classrooms and fans were brought into the school to help remove the smoke.

TR Health has counselors on-site

April 7, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Three Rivers Health now has two certified application counselors on site to assist residents in applying for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

Its counselors can help people understand, apply online and enroll for health coverage through the Marketplace. They are available to answer questions and be a resource for the community.

CEO William Russell said the Certified Application Counselors are trained and certified by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to assist individuals and families with enrollment in health insurance including health plans offered in the new Health Insurance Marketplace, Medicaid and MIChild.

Under the new Health Insurance Marketplace, residents may choose from three levels of coverage – bronze, silver, and gold. Many residents who are applying have little to no out-of-pocket monthly premiums.

Appointments may be scheduled with Debra Kinney, at 278-1145 Ext. 504, or Cathy Zinsmaster, at 278-1145 Ext. 592.

Water-trickle ends

April 7, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

The Three Rivers Department of Public Services has announced it is ending its suggested water-trickle notice.

Most of the water services that were frozen over the winter months have now thawed, and frost is out of the ground in most areas, DPS officials said.

The suggested measure was noted a month ago.

Questionnaire results released

April 7, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Results of a needs-assessment questionnaire, distributed jointly by Sturgis Hospital and Three Rivers Health, have been released.

The fifth of five fields focuses on maternal and infant health.

According to the St. Joseph County 2012 Community Health Needs Assessment, issues associated with teen pregnancies, teen births and poor birth outcomes ranked in the top five health concerns. More than half of community respondents indicated that teen births and teen pregnancies were a major concern.

According to the study, 41 percent of St. Joseph County’s high school students report having had sexual intercourse. Of those, 22 percent report that their first partner was three or more

years older.

In 2011, St. Joseph County’s teen birth rate of 34.6 per 1,000 females ages 15 to 19 years ranked 52nd out of 83 counties.

In addition, Title X Family Planning services are not available in St. Joseph County.

Missing person found safe

April 4, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

The Three Rivers Police Department would like to thank the public for its help in response to a voluntary missing person.

Eighteen-year-old Zachary Allen Kelley has been located in Georgia, safe with a family member.

According to a Three Rivers Police media report, Kelley was last seen by his parents Tuesday. He had spent the night at a family member’s house in the Marcellus area, but had not been seen since.

Police did not indicate the relationship between Kelley and the family member with whom he was found.

Firefighters extinguish fire

April 4, 2014 by Administrator · Leave a Comment 

Sturgis firefighters were called to a home in the 300 block of South Fourth Street just after 7 p.m. Wednesday for a kitchen fire.

Fire personnel arrived to find the homeowner with a garden hose spraying water through the back door of the home. Fire crews entered the structure and extinguished the fire.

Officials said the house sustained considerable smoke and fire damage. The fire was caused by a pan of grease on the stove, authorities said.

No injuries were reported.

« Previous PageNext Page »

Bottom