A carbon-dioxide alarm early Monday afternoon resulted in the evacuation of a lunchtime crowd at the Three Rivers McDonald’s restaurant on West Michigan Avenue.
The Three Rivers Fire Department arrived shortly before 1 p.m. to find the manager had evacuated customers and employees from the restaurant.
Responding firefighters turned off supply valves from the restaurant’s C02 storage tank, which is used in soft-drink-dispensing equipment located in several locations throughout the store.
The fire department established cross-ventilation of the building and stood by until service technicians arrived to assess the system. It was determined that the leak was caused by a faulty connector on one of the distribution tanks.
Monday’s incident marked the second time in recent days that the restaurant was forced to close around lunch time. A fire involving a deep-fryer occurred March 21 and also forced the store to close temporarily.