Home » County Information » Faulty cord responsible for fire

Faulty cord responsible for fire

A faulty extension cord is believed to have been responsible for starting a fire last weekend in Sturgis.

Sturgis fire officials said the blaze was reported at 9:50 p.m. Saturday in the 300 block of South Monroe Street.

Upon arrival, firefighters noticed smoke emitting from two second-floor bedrooms. The victims told firefighters they attempted to extinguish the fire on their own, but it quickly grew out of control and they were forced to evacuate.

The fire was limited to an upper-level bedroom, but heat, smoke and water caused extensive damage to the residence. Three people were displaced.

Check Also

County commission makes hiring freeze exceptions

Two exceptions were made this week to St. Joseph County’s self-imposed hiring freeze. County commissioners …