Home » News » Gas smell prompts evacuation at Western Michigan dorm

Gas smell prompts evacuation at Western Michigan dorm

Officials say the smell of natural gas on the campus of Western Michigan University prompted the evacuation of about 300 students from their dorm rooms.

The Kalamazoo Gazette reports students returned to their rooms around 4:30 a.m. Thursday at Harrison-Stinson halls on the school’s Kalamazoo campus after being evacuated earlier in the morning as a precautionary measure.

School spokeswoman Cheryl Roland says gas service to the dorms was turned off and a generator was being used at the building as officials investigated.

WOOD-TV reports Consumers Energy responded and found a small leak on a fuel line leading into the building. No one was injured.  (AP)

Check Also

Assault charges for man in Constantine incident

A 31- year-old Dearborn Heights man is in the St. Joseph County jail on several …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *