Home » Health and Wellness (page 18)

Health and Wellness

Two more arrests for meth

Two people were charged with drug-related offenses following the discovery of methamphetamine earlier this week at a residence in Sturgis. According to the Sturgis Police Department, officers were called to the 600 block of North Fourth Street in response to a tip regarding a fugitive from justice. Upon arrival, officers searched the residence and noticed a recently active methamphetamine lab …

Read More »

Sheriff investigating crash

Officers from St. Joseph County Sheriff’s Department are investigating an injury accident that occurred last week on Colon Road, near Farrand Road, in Colon Township. Shirley Nash, 62, of Colon, was eastbound on Colon Road around 8:30 p.m. Monday, when her vehicle was struck on the passenger’s side by a pickup driven by 18-year-old Dexter West of Burr Oak. West …

Read More »

New phone system for health department

The Branch-Hillsdale-St. Joseph Community Health Agency has installed a new phone system in two of its county health department offices, and has plans to install the system into the third office by mid-July. The new voice-over-internet system will improve communication between the three offices, as well as provide significant cost savings for the agency, according to Steve Todd, Health Officer …

Read More »

Relay for Life generates funds

Last weekend’s Relay for Life in Three Rivers generated nearly $100,000. Event organizers said more than $98,000 was raised through pledges and donations. The relay, which helps raise funds for cancer research, started Friday evening and ended 24 hours later at Three Rivers High School. A team from American Axle & Manufacturing was recognized for contributing more than $37,000. Other …

Read More »

Nurse honored with award

Sturgis Hospital marked National Nursing Week by honoring Alicia Navarro, RN, with the Faye Kerschner Nursing Excellence Award. Navarro provides patient care on the Medical/Surgical Unit and CCU, and also oversees education for nursing staff on her unit, and works to keep nursing policies updated. The award is given in memory of Faye Kerschner, a Sturgis Hospital nurse who was …

Read More »

Injuries after accident

A White Pigeon woman was injured in a two-vehicle accident last week in Cass County’s Porter Township. Sheriff’s deputies said a car driven by Becky Worth, 48, was heading west on U.S. 12 around 5:30 a.m. June 18 when an approaching car driven by 21-year-old Dwight Ottman of Cassopolis crossed the center line. The vehicles struck in the westbound lane, …

Read More »

Minor injuries after accident

A Sturgis man suffered minor injuries last weekend after the motorcycle he was driving struck a deer in Sherman Township. Sheriff’s officials said Samuel Brackob, 25, was heading north on Balk Road Saturday when a deer entered the roadway near Mintdale Road. Brackob’s motorcycle struck the deer, causing the cycle to veer off the road and come to rest in …

Read More »

Fire caused by lightning

Recapping last week’s fire at the Bentwater Apartments, Three Rivers Fire Chief Dan Tomlinson has issued a press release detailing the damage. The fire, caused by a lightning strike Wednesday afternoon, damaged a total of five of the building’s 16 apartment units. Tomlinson said the most severely compromised apartment sustained about 70 percent damage. Two of the other four were …

Read More »

Four-hour standoff ends well

Sturgis police were involved in a four-hour standoff last week with a man who barricaded himself inside a residence in the 600 block of Devonshire Drive, in the northeast quadrant of the city. According to a department media release, police were called around 9:20 a.m. Friday in response to a suicidal man who had a handgun. A perimeter was set …

Read More »

Extension cord is believed to cause fire

An extension cord is believed to have started a fire this week at a residence in Sturgis. According to the Sturgis Fire Department, the blaze was reported at 7:50 p.m. Monday in the 300 block of West Congress Street. Crews first to arrive noticed smoke from the upper level of the two-story residence. The fire was limited to a closet …

Read More »